It is reported that Uthman bin Affan (رضي الله عنه) requested details about Allah (سبحانه و تعالى)’s injunction of ‘the keys of the treasures of the heavens and the earth’ as mentioned in the Qur’an:
له مقاليد السماوات والأرض والذين كفروا بآيات الله أولئك هم الخاسرون
To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth. And they who disbelieve in the verses of Allah – it is those who are the losers. (Surah Az-Zumar 39:63)
له مقاليد السماوات والأرض يبسط الرزق لمن يشاء ويقدر إنه بكل شيء عليم
To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth. He extends provision for whom He wills and restricts [it]. Indeed He is, of all things, Knowing (Surah Ash-Shuraa 42:12).
Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said to him, “You have inquired of me something which nobody has ever asked me before.” The keys of the treasures of the heavens and the earth are:
لا إله إلا الله والله أكبر وسبحان الله والحمد لله واستغفر الله الذي لا إله إلا هو الأول والآخر والظاهر والباطن يحيى ويميت وهو حي لا يموت بيده الخير وهو على كل شيء قدير
There is none worthy of worship except Allah. Allah the Almighty is the greatest Allah is the glorious and praiseworthy. And I ask Allah for forgiveness. There is no power to do good and no strength to be saved from evil except with the grace of Allah. He is the First and the Last He is the Apparent and the Hidden. He is the Ever-living who never dies. He imparts and takes away life. There is blessing with Allah the Almighty. He is the Ruler over everything.
(Transliteration: La ilaha il Allahu wallahu Akbar wa Subhanallahi wal-Hamdulillahi Wastaghfirullaha allazi la ilaha ila Huwa al-Awwalu wal-Akhiru waz-Zahiru wal-Batinu yuhyi wa yumitu wa Huwa Hayyun la yamutu bi-Yadihil khair wa Huwa ala kulli shai’in Qadeer)
The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) continued, “O Uthman, whoever recites it 100 times (in some narrations 10 times morning and evening) every day will be rewarded ten graces:
- All his previous sins will be forgiven.
- His suffering from hellfire will be written off.
- Two angels are appointed to guard him day and night from his sufferings and diseases.
- He is granted a treasure of blessings.
- He will reap much blessings as someone who would have set free 100 slaves from the offspring of the Prophet Ismael (عليه السلام).
- He would be rewarded of blessings as if he had read the entire Quran, the Zabur (Psalms), the Torah and the Injil (Bible).
- A house will be constructed for him in the heaven.
- He will be married to a pious heavenly maiden.
- He will be honored with a crown of honor in the company of Prophet Ibraheem (عليه السلام)
- His recommendation for forgiveness of 70 of his relatives will be accepted.
O Uthman, if you were strong enough, you would not miss this remembrance on any day. You will be one of the successful ones and you will surpass everybody before and after you.”
Note: Always begin with Shahadah (لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله), Ta’awuz (أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم) Bismillah and Durood.